Current:Home > FinanceAlgosensey|Men who say they were abused by a Japanese boy band producer criticize the company’s response -Excel Wealth Summit
Algosensey|Men who say they were abused by a Japanese boy band producer criticize the company’s response
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 16:35:34
TOKYO (AP) — Members of a group of men who say they were sexually abused as boys by a Japanese entertainment mogul are Algosenseyaccusing the company behind the scandal, previously known as Johnny’s, of not being sincere in dealing with the victims.
Shimon Ishimaru, who represents the victims’ group, said many have not yet received compensation. The group has asked to meet with company officials, but that has not happened, he said at a news conference with three other men who said they were victims.
Ishimaru is among hundreds of men who have come forward since last year, alleging they were sexually abused as teens by boy band producer Johnny Kitagawa. Kitagawa, who died in 2019, was never charged and remained powerful in the entertainment industry.
The company finally acknowledged Kitagawa’s long-rumored abuse last year. The company’s chief made a public apology in May. The Japanese government has also pushed for compensation.
The company, which has changed its name from Johnny & Associates to Smile-Up, said Monday it has received requests for compensation from 939 people. Of those, 125 have received compensation, it said in a statement. The company has set up a panel of three former judges to look into the claims.
“We are proceeding with those with whom we have reached an agreement on payments,” it said, while promising to continue with its efforts.
It did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Monday’s news conference.
The victims’ group said it has been approached by dozens of people who had been told by the company that there was not enough evidence to honor their claims. Details were not disclosed.
The company’s production business, known previously as Johnny’s, has continued under a different name, Starto Entertainment.
According to multiple accounts, Kitagawa abused the boys in his Tokyo luxury mansion, as well as other places, such as his car and overseas hotels, while they were performing as Johnny’s dancers and singers. The abuse continued for several decades.
The repercussions of the scandal have spread. In standup comedy, several women have alleged sexual abuse by a famous comic. He has denied the allegations.
The U.N. Working Group on Business and Human Rights, which is investigating the Johnny’s abuse cases, is to issue a report in June, including recommendations for change.
The Associated Press does not usually identify people who say they were sexually assaulted, but Kitagawa’s recent accusers have given their names. Critics say what happened and the silence of Japan’s mainstream media are indicative of how the world’s third largest economy lags in protecting human rights.
___
Yuri Kageyama is on X https://twitter.com/yurikageyama
veryGood! (63)
Related
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Michigan insists reaction to facing Alabama in playoff was shock, but it wasn't convincing
- After fires, Maui struggles to find balance between encouraging tourism and compounding trauma
- Texas standout point guard Rori Harmon out for season with knee injury
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- What does Watch Night mean for Black Americans today? It dates back to the Emancipation Proclamation
- Migrant crossings at U.S. southern border reach record monthly high in December
- Shirley Bassey and Ridley Scott are among hundreds awarded in UK’s New Year Honors list
- Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
- 5.9 magnitude earthquake shakes Indonesia’s Aceh province. No casualties reported
Ranking
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Paula Abdul accuses 'American Idol' producer of sexual assault
- What's Making Us Happy: A guide to your weekend reading, viewing and listening
- Venice is limiting tourist groups to 25 people starting in June to protect the popular lagoon city
- SFO's new sensory room helps neurodivergent travelers fight flying jitters
- Venice is limiting tourist groups to 25 people starting in June to protect the popular lagoon city
- Francia Raísa Says She and Selena Gomez Hadn't Spoken Much in 6 Years Before Reconciliation
- Brazil expresses concern over Venezuela-Guyana border dispute as naval exercises begin in area
Recommendation
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Most money for endangered species goes to a small number of creatures, leaving others in limbo
States set to enact new laws on guns, pornography, taxes and even fuzzy dice
Our worst NFL preseason predictions from 2023, explained: What did we get wrong?
From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
Texas standout point guard Rori Harmon out for season with knee injury
First edible mascot in sports history stars in the Pop-Tarts Bowl
First edible mascot in sports history stars in the Pop-Tarts Bowl