Current:Home > reviewsWalmart says it has stopped advertising on Elon Musk's X platform -Excel Wealth Summit
Walmart says it has stopped advertising on Elon Musk's X platform
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 16:35:34
Walmart said Friday that it is scaling back its advertising on X, the social media company formerly known as Twitter, because "we've found some other platforms better for reaching our customers."
Walmart's decision has been in the works for a while, according to a person familiar with the move. Yet it comes as X faces an advertiser exodus following billionaire owner Elon Musk's support for an antisemitic post on the platform.
The retailer spends about $2.7 billion on advertising each year, according to MarketingDive. In an email to CBS MoneyWatch, X's head of operations, Joe Benarroch, said Walmart still has a large presence on X. He added that the company stopped advertising on X in October, "so this is not a recent pausing."
"Walmart has a wonderful community of more than a million people on X, and with a half a billion people on X, every year the platform experiences 15 billion impressions about the holidays alone with more than 50% of X users doing most or all of their shopping online," Benarroch said.
Musk struck a defiant pose earlier this week at the New York Times' Dealbook Summit, where he cursed out advertisers that had distanced themselves from X, telling them to "go f--- yourself." He also complained that companies are trying to "blackmail me with advertising" by cutting off their spending with the platform, and cautioned that the loss of big advertisers could "kill" X.
"And the whole world will know that those advertisers killed the company," Musk added.
Dozens of advertisers — including players such as Apple, Coca Cola and Disney — have bailed on X since Musk tweeted that a post on the platform that claimed Jews fomented hatred against White people, echoing antisemitic stereotypes, was "the actual truth."
Advertisers generally shy away from placing their brands and marketing messages next to controversial material, for fear that their image with consumers could get tarnished by incendiary content.
The loss of major advertisers could deprive X of up to $75 million in revenue, according to a New York Times report.
Musk said Wednesday his support of the antisemitic post was "one of the most foolish" he'd ever posted on X.
"I am quite sorry," he said, adding "I should in retrospect not have replied to that particular post."
- In:
- Elon Musk
- Walmart
Aimee Picchi is the associate managing editor for CBS MoneyWatch, where she covers business and personal finance. She previously worked at Bloomberg News and has written for national news outlets including USA Today and Consumer Reports.
TwitterveryGood! (1972)
Related
- Small twin
- Dismissing Trump’s EPA Science Advisors, Regan Says the Agency Will Return to a ‘Fair and Transparent Process’
- Judge Orders Dakota Access Pipeline Spill Response Plan, with Tribe’s Input
- Human torso brazenly dropped off at medical waste facility, company says
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Activists sue Harvard over legacy admissions after affirmative action ruling
- ‘This Is an Emergency’: 1 Million African Americans Live Near Oil, Gas Facilities
- Blake Shelton Finally Congratulates The Voice's Niall Horan in the Most Classic Blake Shelton Way
- Federal appeals court upholds $14.25 million fine against Exxon for pollution in Texas
- Massachusetts Sues Exxon Over Climate Change, Accusing the Oil Giant of Fraud
Ranking
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Migrant workers said to be leaving Florida over new immigration law
- No major flight disruptions from new 5G wireless signals around airports
- GOP Congressmen Launch ‘Foreign Agent’ Probe Over NRDC’s China Program
- Intel's stock did something it hasn't done since 2022
- Keystone Pipeline Spills 383,000 Gallons of Oil into North Dakota Wetlands
- Murder probe underway after 6 killed, 1 hurt in South Carolina house fire
- Ice Storm Aftermath: More Climate Extremes Ahead for Galveston
Recommendation
Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
Climate Activists Converge on Washington With a Gift and a Warning for Biden and World Leaders
IRS warns of new tax refund scam
War on NOAA? A Climate Denier’s Arrival Raises Fears the Agency’s Climate Mission Is Under Attack
The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
Jana Kramer Is Pregnant with Baby No. 3, Her First With Fiancé Allan Russell
IPCC: Radical Energy Transformation Needed to Avoid 1.5 Degrees Global Warming
July Fourth hot dog eating contest men's competition won by Joey Chestnut with 62 hot dogs and buns