Current:Home > ContactCharles H. Sloan-The US failed to track more than $1 billion in military gear given Ukraine, Pentagon watchdog says -Excel Wealth Summit
Charles H. Sloan-The US failed to track more than $1 billion in military gear given Ukraine, Pentagon watchdog says
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-07 01:27:17
WASHINGTON (AP) — Shortfalls in required monitoring by American officials mean the U.S. cannot track more than $1 billion in weapons and Charles H. Sloanmilitary equipment provided to Ukraine to fight invading Russian forces, according to a Pentagon audit released Thursday.
The findings mean that 59% of $1.7 billion in defense gear that the U.S. has provided Ukraine and was directed to guard against misuse or theft remained “delinquent,” the report by the Defense Department’s office of the inspector-general, the watchdog body for the Pentagon, said.
While Biden administration officials stressed Thursday that there was no evidence the weapons had been stolen, the audit undermines two years of lavish assurances from the administration that rigorous monitoring would keep U.S. military aid given to Ukraine from being misused. That’s despite the country’s longstanding reputation for corruption.
“There remains no credible evidence of illicit diversion of U.S.-provided advanced conventional weapons from Ukraine,” Brig. Gen. Patrick Ryder, a Pentagon spokesman, told reporters. Citing what he said was Russian disinformation to the contrary, Ryder added, “The fact is, we observed the Ukrainians employing these capabilities on the battlefield. We’re seeing them use them effectively.”
President Joe Biden is already struggling to win congressional approval for more U.S. military and financial aid to Ukrainian government forces, which are struggling to drive out Russian forces that pushed deeper into the country in February 2022. The audit findings are likely to make Biden’s task even harder.
House Republican opposition for months has stalled Biden’s request to Congress for $105 billion more for Ukraine, Israel and other national security objectives. National Security Council spokesman John Kirby said Thursday that there was no funding left for additional military aid packages to Ukraine.
The U.S. has provided tens of billions of dollars in military aid to Ukraine, including big systems such as air defense. The end-use monitoring was required for gear that had sensitive technology and was smaller, making it more vulnerable to arms trafficking.
The Pentagon inspector general’s report said that the Defense Department had failed to maintain an accurate serial-number inventory of those defense articles for Ukraine as required.
Reasons for the shortfall in monitoring included limited staffing; the fact that procedures for carrying out end-use monitoring in a war zone weren’t put in place until December 2022; restrictions on movement for monitors within Ukraine; and a lack of internal controls on inventory, the report said.
While the U.S. had improved monitoring since the first year of the war, “significant personnel limitations and accountability challenges remain,” auditors said; full accounting of the gear was impossible as long as those shortfalls remained, they said.
Kirby said administration officials “has for many months now been interested in improving accountability over the end use of material that is provided to Ukraine.”
The audit didn’t attempt to determine whether any of the assistance had been diverted. It noted the Defense Department inspector-general’s office now had people stationed in Ukraine, and that its criminal investigators were still looking into allegations of criminal misuse of the security assistance.
Defense Department officials told auditors they expected to have systems for improved oversight in place this year and next.
—
Pentagon reporters Lolita C. Baldor and Tara Copp contributed.
veryGood! (19492)
Related
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- Why Spencer Pratt and Heidi Montag Say 6-Year-Old Son Gunner Is Ready for His YouTube Career
- Much of U.S. braces for extreme weather, from southern heat wave to possible snow in the Rockies
- 2 killed and several wounded in shooting during a Juneteenth celebration in a Texas park
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Dr. Anthony Fauci turned down millions to leave government work fighting infectious diseases
- 4 Florida officers indicted for 2019 shootout with robbers that killed a UPS driver and passerby
- Biggest NBA Finals blowouts: Where Mavericks' Game 4 demolition of Celtics ranks
- Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
- Trump allies hope his daughter Tiffany’s father-in-law can help flip Arab American votes in Michigan
Ranking
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- 'It was just awful': 66-year-old woman fatally struck by police truck on South Carolina beach
- Princess Kate cancer update: Read her full statement to the public
- Bridgerton Season 4: Cast Teases What’s Next After Season 3 Finale
- Tarte Shape Tape Concealer Sells Once Every 4 Seconds: Get 50% Off Before It's Gone
- Horoscopes Today, June 15, 2024
- Partisan gridlock prevents fixes to Pennsylvania’s voting laws as presidential election looms
- Yankees' Alex Verdugo homers vs. Red Sox in return to Fenway – and lets them know about it
Recommendation
Trump issues order to ban transgender troops from serving openly in the military
Princess Kate shares health update on cancer treatment, announces first public appearance in months
Joe Alwyn Breaks Silence on Taylor Swift Breakup
On Father’s Day, this LGBTQ+ couple celebrates the friend who helped make their family dream reality
How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
Here's why Brat Pack Woodstock movie starring Andrew McCarthy, Emilio Estevez wasn't made
Prosecutor says ATF agent justified in fatal shooting of Little Rock airport director during raid
Justice Department says it won't prosecute Merrick Garland after House contempt vote